Traditionally pesto is made up with parmesan and pine nuts. I decided to create a delicious dairy free pesto made with cashew nuts.
Pesto is an effortless yet full of flavour sauce that can be used on many different dishes.
I chose cashew nuts for two reasons. Firstly they’re a rich, sweet nut and secondly they’re nutrient dense.
Cashew nuts are considered to be a “low fat” nut. They contain less fat per serving than most nuts (including almonds, pecans and walnuts). Although they do still have a high fat content, so should be eaten in moderation!
They are rich in protein and essential minerals like magnesium, iron, phosphorous, and zinc, which are all utilized in holistic health solutions.
Dairy free pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 cup raw cashew pieces
- 1 fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 T. nutritional yeast (optional)
- Place basil and mince garlic in food processor and pulse until in little bits
- Add all other ingredients, and process until your desired texture.
- Spoon into an airtight container or serve straight away
Serving suggestion: A dollop of pesto with zucchini pasta…..yum!!!